24x7 TECHNICAL SUPPORT FOR INTERNET SERVICES
A Tradition of Excellence Since 1896
Siskiyou Telephone has been a true pioneer in the history of Western Siskiyou County. The Company was incorporated on October 10, 1896, in Fort Jones with many of the original stockholders being leading businessmen who wanted to bring modern telephone service to the area.
With A.B. Carlock as President, the Board of Directors instructed the Company to purchase an existing line from Yreka to Callahan via Fort Jones, Greenview and Etna. The line was purchased from William Baptist for the sum of $4,000.00.
On October 21, 1896 a bid from William Baptist was accepted to construct a telephone line from Etna to Sawyers Bar for a sum of $1,225.00. In October of 1897, a line was completed from Sawyers Bar to the Forks of Salmon and the Gilta Mine.
The Gilta Mine was owned by the Dannenbrink Brothers, August and Henry, who were among the original stockholders of the Corporation. It was their desire to have telephone service at Gilta that got them into the telephone business. In September of 1904, August Dannenbrink was appointed President. As the business grew, it became necessary for August to move to Etna and devote full time to managing the Company in 1911. As time went on, the Company’s service area grew to include Plowmans Valley and the Klamath River area as far down river as Orleans...